It’s August and many of us will be getting ready to go off on holiday.
Time in the sun might be good for resting, relaxing and topping up a tan, but if you wear hearing aids there are a few things you should be aware of. Changes to routine and a more relaxed attitude while enjoying a break can lead to problems.
Here are some tips for summer hearing aid care.
Heat and moisture are real enemies of hearing aids as they can damage their intricate and sensitive inner workings.
Too much moisture can ruin batteries, corrode components and damage the electronics.
And big changes in temperature can cause condensation – another big enemy of hearing aids.
Here’s what to do
Here are a few tips to help you care for your hearing aids in the summer:
- Take out your hearing aids when exercising outside if it is raining or if the weather is extremely warm.
- At night, open the battery door to allow dry, fresh air to move through the hearing aid and remove moisture.
- Keep your hearing aids in a protective case and out of direct sunlight when you are not wearing them.
- Avoid storing hearing aids in humid places such as in glove boxes in cars or other environments where heat and moisture can build up.
- Remove your hearing aids before showering, swimming or any activity in which you could be exposed to water.
- Sunscreen has oils that can damage hearing aids, so apply lotions or sprays before putting them on.
- Make sure the sunscreen is fully rubbed in or dry before putting your hearing aids back on and make sure there is no sunscreen on your hands as the oils can seep into open seams and microphone ports or vents.
Despite the best of intentions accidents happen, especially on holiday. People can forget they are wearing hearing aids and jump into the sea or a pool or dive under a shower.
If this happens turn off your hearing aids at once and remove the battery. Use a towel to gently dry the hearing aids, or a special hearing aid dryer if you have one.
These tips should help you enjoy your summer, at home or away, and keep your hearing aids safe and working well for many years.
Our webshop Hearbase Direct stocks items which will help you care for your hearing aids while on holiday. Drying products are especially useful. Take a look here.